Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Potato Nugget Casserole

When the leaves start changing color and when the little-ones cheeks turn red with the crisp air, our taste and cravings seem to change too. For me, it wouldn't be fall without a weekly: Tall Soy Tazo Chai Latte from my local coffee shop.

Casseroles go hand-in-hand with my favorite season. I find them so simple to make and a great way to treat all those sitting around the table after a full afternoon of playing in the leaves in the golden autumn sunshine. They are among the the most satisfying and comforting of meals. I like to offer them to friends or family in need of the warmth and nourishment of a homemade casserole. For the new parents back home from the hospital with their new bundle of joy, for a friend who feels under the weather or suffering from a broken heart, a parent returning from business travels or welcoming new neighbor. I've prepared them so often! They are always so well received.

Here are a few tips that I use:

  • Prepare your casserole in a disposable pan that doesn't need to be returned.
  • Label the casserole with the recipe name and reheating directions.
  • Round out the meal with simple side dishes such as bagged salad and homemade dressing.
I just made this recipe for a friend from Church and her three children, her husband has left for military training for a few weeks. I thought she would appreciate me taking care of dinner for one night.


The original casserole recipe is from Pillsbury but I modified it and came up with my own recipe for Potato Nuggets rather then using the processed ones.

Bon Appetit!


Ingredients:

Potato Nuggets

Russet potatoes - 3 medium
Salt - To taste
Pepper - 1/2 tbsp
Chilly powder - 1 tsp
Cilantro - A handful chopped
Hardware: Stoneware Muffin Tray


Casserole

1 can of condensed low-sodium cream of chicken soup
1 cup of milk
1 tbs dried minced onion
2 cups cut-up cooked chicken ( or turkey leftovers after Thanksgiving)
2 cups of frozen mixed vegetables
1/2 cup of cheddar cheese
Hardware: Rectangular 14 cup stoneware baker or glassware casserole dish



Making the potato nuggets...

(prepare ahead of time)
1. Preheat your oven at 400F
2. Peel and grate potatoes
3. Mix in Chili Powder, Pepper, Cilantro and Salt
(mix the salt to the potatoes only before stuffing them in the muffin trays, otherwise they will get soggy)
4. Stuff them in seasoned stoneware muffin pan only fill them halfway. Grease lightly on top
5. Bake until golden brown


Casserole...

1. Heat oven to 375F
2. Mix soup, milk, dried onion, chicken and vegetables.
3. Arrange Potato Nuggets on top
4. Bake uncovered for 40 mins. Sprinkle cheese on top and bake for 5-10 mins until bubbly.

Share with your little ones with a big glass of milk!

Follow me and let me know what you think! I'd love to hear from you.






No comments:

Post a Comment